Saturday, February 23, 2013

English For Academic Purposes


  English For Academic Purposes
 For any one who would like to raise his or her English up to special advantages, I constantly hope that these notes will help him or her as these notes are my own notes when I attended EAP FCE Course and these notes are priceless for the rest of your life. Everyone can copy my notes and use them to learn English or teach students. 
·                     Hello everybody! Let me point out some data about my qualifications and experience if you would like to know.
·                     I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to present you some data about me.
·                     Please lend me your ears for a few minutes.
·                     I have to confess that I was always dreaming about coming to EAP/ Singapore and being greatest.
·                     I think you must already know that it is a dream of every student.
·                     In Burma, mostly students they would like to raise their talents in educational career by studying abroad. (I am one of them.)
·                     It is real confession.
·                     Same here: after completing the right university, how should I mention about delighting.
·                     My parents would like me to be seriously educated person. (It is a dream of every parent and parents are always anxious for their children to get on.)
·                     I have to confess that / I can hardly say / To be honest that I’m deeply grateful for the opportunity to present to you some data about me.
·                     My Burmese name is Ko Thura, and there is something I want you to know about Burmese traditions that in Burma, Burmese people used their titles such as U, Ko, Daw, Maung, Ma, etc.
·                     But not like English, in English mostly people used their titles such as Mr., Mrs., Ms., Miss., etc.
·                     My English given name is Mr. Heed Smith.
·                     I always felt my place is Singapore and I always dreamed of studying at an international environment and being greatest.
·                     My greatest strength is optimism and very easy to understand.
·                     And more…. I was always thinking about my future career how to settle down. It is real confession.
·                     I don’t like to pretend and I like openly system and family type.
·                     My weakness point is over sleeping / eating heavy food / (guzzle / so stingy / miser / fussy) and I can’t get out.
 Prestigious Dream (Mr. Thura Htet’s Mission)
·                     My prestigious (= extremely importance) teaching programmes have transformed educational careers and realized dreams to potential learners.
·                     I deeply realized that it is a dream of every teacher.
·                     I was always dreaming about teaching up to special advantages to people about English.
·                     It is real confession.
·                     I just only wanted that my students’ sole reason for studying at EAP was to raise their talents in English.
·                     Deeply inside you feel that, make up your mind that it is time to raise your talents in English to fulfill your priorities.
·                     You know, I think you must know already that nowadays, individual and societies feel disadvantaged if they do not have the competence in English language.
·                     Same here, coz’ I’m also one of them.  I want you to ready to do whatever is necessary in order to fulfill your priorities for your future career.
Problem Solving About Shipping
·                     As a result, we are temporarily out of stock.
·                     Sorry sir, we have no stock, but only temporarily, not for a long time, it should be more than 3 business days.
·                     I want to apologize to you for our inconvenience.
·                     But I want you to know something that whenever convenience for you, and see you once again.
·                     If you require any further information, / want to order anything available here, / if we can help you any way, please do not hesitate to contact us.
·                     Nevertheless, the new product is presently being prepared.
·                     I want you to remember for one thing that only temporarily, you catch in 3 days.
·                     Now, I’ve added your order / name to the mailing list to receive as soon as it is possible.
·                     There is nothing to worry, can you please calm down? We can handle the business well.
·                     I said that’s according to my experience.
Asking info: (between student and teacher)
S: hello sir, my sole reason for coming here was to raise my talents in educational career, and let me ask you some questions about your teaching programme.
T: well, my teaching programme is offered from elementary to advanced levels by repetitive system in order to raise my students’ talents in English.
S: of course, sir! I agreed with you and I’m sure it is very interesting way to study. And all students will enjoy studying in this way.
Please, should you grant (= official permission or passionate permit) me to know one thing about your class size?
T: my average class size is 18-20 students, so I can give personal attention to each one.
(You know it is a dream of every teacher)
S: let me know that how many teaching hours do you offer weekly? And what benefits we will have after completing the courses?
T: classes are held from Monday to Friday about 5 hours and closed on the weekends.
After completing the courses, you will realize that your ability and confidence is growing in English. Coz’ my priority is to educate people. As you know, Smith, I will do as I promised. It is better, you should do as I instructed. Just do it, and there’s nothing to be wrong.
S: will I have to pay any deposit?
T: sure, you should pay 60900kyats as a deposit. If you pay 60900kyats, that’s not only deposit but also tuition fees.
S: what will I have to study during my time at EAP?
T: you will learn up to special advantages by repetitive system in order to raise your talents in English coz’ it will help you to face to your future with confidence.
If you are thinking about your future career how to settle down, I hardly dare promise you that……….
So, would you like to share my enthusiasm for our potential way… and there’s something I want you to know that my main concern is to fulfill my students’ priorities.
After completing the courses, you will have a great advantage in the job market and to travel or live abroad coz’ you have been able to speak and write very well in English. After a short time, it shouldn’t be more than four months.
Keep Trying
-                      Keep trying….do not give up…I will show you the way in order to fulfill your goals and this way is priceless for the rest of your life.
-                      Deeply inside you feel that, make up your mind coz’ it will make you to be seriously educated person and will cost you to everything.
-                      Now I’m going to advocate you. (Please, note that I will never let you down.)
-                      I’m here to raise your talents in educational career. You should do as I instructed, trust me dare. (I have done like that before.)
-                      I said according to my experience. There is nothing to be wrong and everything will be gone in order.
-                      If you are going / trying to raise your talents in English, there is something I just want you to know that at first if you are a newcomer (beginner) in studying English. In this connection, you must face some troubles about pronunciation and also absorption power, nobody can avoid, but you must learn from your mistakes in order to be a seriously educated person, isn’t it?
-                      As a matter of fact, fade away any troubles, only temporarily, but not forever. It shouldn’t be more than 10 days, just ignore. Make sure that you must improve yourself.
-                      There is one very good reason that English is the world’s leading international communication language and we used as our official language, but not our mother tongue. Only lingua franca, English has become a lingua franca in many parts of the world. But whose first language is not English….. English is a second language. (ESL)
-                      As a matter of fact, we must try to speak out just like a real native speaker as much as we can. Not hard to be…………….


Hello students!
-You would like to continue learning?
-Absolutely sure! We are now ready to follow your instructions with strong effort. Please deal, sir!

Hello everyone! I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to announce. Mr. Thura Htet’s speech will be started in 3 minutes.
-                      Please lend him your ears for a few minutes.
-                      Let’s hear from him.
-                      Give him a clap.
Speech
             (Get together (the host speech)
              Good morning!
              Ladies and Gentlemen!
·                     I would like to start by thanking for your time or coming. I’m very happy to have you all here and I’m extremely grateful, it is real confession.
·                     We do not have the chance to meet often all of us like this at one place and at one time.
·                     ( EDU) I wish to develop your career in that direction, coz’ it will make you to be seriously educated person.
·                     And it will help you to look to you the future with confidence in order to fulfill your priorities.
·                     I just want you to ready to do whatever is necessary in order to achieve your goals.
·                     ( Host) And just we do meet sometime, we need to know to relax to get to know about each other.
·                     It is mainly with this aim that I have invited you today.
·                     You who are our like-minded friends, who will not criticize or complain but will accept us and others, as well are.
·                     Let me confess that I was always dreaming about coming to Mandalay and to present to you some data about our company. ( My teaching programme)
·                     Like many organizations, we need ways to help our people work better and enjoy their lives.
·                     (EDU) As you know, my priority is to educate people and I’m going to raise my students’ talents in educational career. It is my main concern. Coz’ it will give you new ideas to handle the business well. So, the students of this country to talk less and work more to fulfill your priorities.
·                     I think it is good to meet sometimes to refresh ourselves with small and big talks.
·                     And laugh away our cares with others who are clear to us.
·                     I hope you will enjoy this get together and that that tomorrow will give us new energy to face the future with confidence. ( If you are thinking about your future career how to settle down)
·                     I’m so glad to say today a few words on the subject, just I mean, a person who has no power to do at all in their entire life. Coz’ everyone has his duties to perform the richest as well as the poorest. It is real human being. (This is unavoidable truth.)

Immigration Counter/ Control
Immigrant (n) = a person who has come to live permanently in a country that is not their won.
Immigration Control = the place at a port, an airport, etc. where the passports and other documents of people coming into a country are checked.
·                     Be sure you know about it if you intend to go abroad in all ways.
·                     Good idea! Tell me about it.
·                     When you arrive in foreign countries, after going through Check In, at that time some immigration officer will ask you some questions about your journey, your occupation and also probably Sth about your country/ education levels.
·                     You might have to do some explaining in English.
·                     On the other hands, you have to show a good relevant language skill in English. So, I said that it is time to raise your talents in English.
I.O. Good morning, sir! May I have your passport, please? (Pleas your passport)
T. Here you are. (Here is my passport)
I.O. It says here that you are a businessman. So, let me ask you one thing that exactly which line of business are you in?
T. Now, I’m a manager. Prior to this, I worked in computers. Now, I’m running my own business.
Prior to this, I studied for my educational career. Now, I’m coming to work as an assistant manager for ……. company.
(* Here is my passport. You will find any information you need. You can contact my embassy, and check yourself to your heart content. Here you can check yourself! My documents would testify you.)
·                     My sole reason for coming here was to work as a government employee for Myanmar Embassy.
·                     What about you came here for?
·                     What’s the main purpose of your journey?
·                     Why do you interest to visit to our country?
·                     I’ve never been here, but I always wanted to come if I have a chance.
·                     I was always dreaming about coming to Singapore and being greatest.
·                     My main concern is to fulfill a lifelong dream in Singapore.
·                     It is a quite job. A man with priorities like that.
·                     (EDU) My parents would me like to be educated person, and I’ve come to raise my talents in educational career at Cambridge University. ( here is offering letters)
·                     One of my friends, he has been here for 5 years, and he told me too much about Singapore that
·                     I’ve heard some precious information about Singapore from my partners that………
·                     In Singapore, a lot of industries about educational career but not like other countries, being greatest, so many immigrants, after a short time, they found a lot of potential ways for their future career and nobody likes to get back to their own countries. And more… people are very friendly and weather is very wonderful. Mostly people helped each other very much and never blamed.
·                     If I have a free time, I will be here again.

                             About Singapore
SINGAPORE is a master of reinvention. Since it independents in 1965, the island state off the                  southern tip of Malaysia has transformed itself from a once squalid war battered British Seaport into a thriving metropolis. Under 43 years, leadership of founder Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore achieved first world economic status and dramatically improved the populations of 4 millions. The quality of life for its populations of 4 million has done so largely by investing in assets such as education and infrastructure and attraction crucial inflows of foreign investment.
E. Please feel free to call me whenever convenience for you.
C. Hoping for a favorable response from you. I look forward to hearing from you soon for my potential way. Coz’ I was always thinking about my future career how to settle down. And I instantly hope to develop my career in that direction. / from that direction.
E. I think I have asked you everything I wanted to. Thank you for coming along to the interview.
C. Thank you, when will I know if I’m successful? Think nothing of it… could I see where I will be working? Thanks a lot, and I assure you that if given a chance, I will satisfy you with my hard work and conduct.
Thanks, sir! I shall leave no stone unturned to satisfy you with my hard work.
Thanks ever so much, I will work with full dedication.
E. Well, we usually expect to be in touch with successful applicants within a week.
Thank you for coming and it’s been good to talk to you.
I want you to remember that if you need to telephone me before then, you can reach me directly on 0874993118.
C. I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to talk to you, and I will dedicate to you as well as I can, and I will do as I promised.
*I’m not such a man / girl who does what he/ she likes best, and I’ll do as you instructed in order to handle the business well.
(According to Internationally Standard, are you up to it?)
(According to my Standard,………………………………………… )
T. When the peak season in S’pore?
I.O., let me ask you one thing that do you have any friends or relatives in Singapore?
C. None of these. (Yes, I have. This is my brother.)
I.O. Where will be your address?
T. Can I give you my hotel’s address? (I will be with my brother, and here is my brother’s address. I’ll be here until the day after tomorrow. (It shouldn’t be more than 3 days.)
I.O.  What date did you arrive in Singapore?
T. I’m not too sure about it, but I think in early April. ( in the middle of April)
I.O. What have you been doing since you arrived in Singapore?
T. Only sightseeing, as you know, in Singapore there are so many interesting places to go.
(I’ve been working as an Assistant Manager for …… Company)
(Being busy what I have to do about our company, and I told you already that I’m running on my own business.
(JOB SEEKING VISA) Now, I’m just looking for a job which one is suitable to me, you know, I’ve got to find a job first.)
My family circumstances have compelled me to find a job. ( To discontinue for my further study.)
Hello my friend! Now I’m going to advise you that have you heard some words about health…. Health is wealth.
During this period, weather is very cold. You should take a light exercise for your health. Just I mean, in order to be fitness. You should keep fit.
It is only suggestion, after that you can confirm yourself to deal with. But I want you to make sure of it.

·                     I should warm you that even not think to do like that again. / You should avoid unnecessary to spend / risk. /
·                     You should take a light physical exercise for your health.
·                     You should take a crash helmet when you are riding your bike. If you aren’t, traffic police will give you into trouble, you have to pay fine money. That’s punishable.
·                     You should bring your driving licence with you when you are driving your car.
·                     You should do as I instructed, if you aren’t, you will regret.
·                     (Let’s not argue any more.) We have not much time, let’s not waste the time any more.
·                     They will do unexpected affair, you should take care of yourself.
·                     They are trying to give you into trouble.
*It is only suggestion, after that, you can confirm yourself to deal with. But I just want you to make sure of it.
I should warm you that even not think to do like that again, I’ve told you so many times, but you’ve never changed.
-You don’t scare me?
-Don’t be such a baby, act your age. Be sure you know that it is time ……
-While you are in Mandalay (During your time in Myanmar) you should take the crash helmet when you are riding your bike.
-If you aren’t, traffic police will give / make you into trouble. You have to pay fine money.
-You should avoid unnecessary to spend. It is time to save up for your future career / reinvestment.
-You must never forget about it for the rest of your life coz’ it will help you to look to the future with confidence.
-I dare say.
-Do not look at me like that, and it is not polite to stare.
-Why are you staring at me like that? What do you want from me?
Formal – (name) Dear Mr. Ms. Mrs. Sir. Madam, Dear Mr. Thura Htet,
Informal – Hi, Hello Marry.
(Family name / surname / last name)
If you make friendship with somebody, but not for a long time, only in a very short time, you have to call / name to somebody with their last name. If you aren’t, they will be angry.
(Just I mean about English tradition)
You know what I mean? You know, I think you must already know that.
-Don’t take over legal limit.
-You should do as I instructed. If you aren’t, you will regret. You know what I mean?
-You know I think you must already know that let’s not waste the time anymore. It is time to talk less and work more.
-No matter why / what / how, let’s not argue anymore.
I’ve got a situation, so, don’t take me so long.
You ever keep me waiting.
Don’t bother me anymore.
Please understand.
ACTIONREACTION
CAUSE EFFECT
You will never cause into trouble if you do / follow as I instructed / ordered.
I’ve never said like that in my entire life but I didn’t expect anything from you.
Sometimes, I’m not sure exactly that why I’m so nice to you.
Deeply inside you feel, make up your mind that it will give you new energy to face to your future.
They will do unexpected affair, you should take care of yourself.
It is too dangerous.
Just I mean, they are trying to kill / betray / disturb / block you.
It is not suspect / rumor/ guesswork.
You must forget about it if you have to forget something, forget it, ignore them, just fade away.
If you aren’t, they will be blocking you for the rest of your life.
This is serious right, and unavoidable truth.
You should have fully used your opportunity, it has not been always possible.
That will never be happened again, so, don’t miss your chance.
I saw him at your father’s funeral. He has come to give you into trouble.
I dare say that his sole reason for coming here was to trouble you, so, keep an eye on him.
There’s nothing to be wrong, coz’ I can handle the business well, I dare say according to my experience.
I will dedicate to you as well / much as I can.
Can you please calm down, everything will be gone in order as you expected / predicated.



Please feel free to ask me, and I will work out as much as I know.
If you have / require any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.
If you require any further question about me, please do not hesitate to contact to my present employers.
So, you will grant me to know some data about English as I asked.
Should you grant me to leave of absence?
You’ve absented six times already according to my record.
I said by reference.
So trust me dare. There is nothing to be mind.
*When you meet a person who will ask you like that…. What are the differences between seminar and interview?
At that time, you will have to explain some data as much as you can.
Please dedicate to my teaching programmes. Coz’ my teaching programme will guarantee for your future career.
My priority is to teach, where, you, training, job, guarantee and educate people.
And you must explain to somebody as I taught you.
*What are you discussing / studying in secret?
I’ve been studying in secret, coz’ I would like to face to my future with confidence.
Please do not let them / him know, except you.
Please calm down, there’s nothing to be wrong.
Coz’ my lips are sealed, and I will never repeat about your secret to others.
Trust me dare coz’ I will do as I promised.
I’ll never betray you, it is real confession.
You probably should get dressed.
Impossible, that’s just ridiculous. I dare say.
I suspect that may be ridiculous. / That’s impossible.
Just only you think, actually not.
Can you please calm down, there’s nothing to be worry.
I’m in the right position to run my own business.
I’m in the right position to advise you. I said that according to my experience / Standard.
I can handle the business well even without you / your help.
-          You must pay particular attention to me.
-          For what? Please give the reason if you don’t mind. I hope you don’t mind.
-          Let me confess that I just only wanna know, but I don’t like to trouble you.
-          Coz’ it will make you to be seriously educated person if you want to raise your talents in educational career.
-          Hello my friend! Now, I’m going to tell you some data about pronunciation.
-          If you wish to know some data about pronunciation I would like to point out like that you must pay particular attention to me.
-          In Burma, mostly Burmese people, they pronounce like that particular (particular) but nobody pronounces like that in foreign countries. Just I mean in English speaking countries, they pronounce like that particular (partikjula). So you must try to pronounce or imate just like me as much as you can. Will you? I’m sure I will.
-          This teaching programme is a particular favorite of mine.
*I’m not such a guy as you thought, I will do as I promised.
I’m not such a guy that a person who does what he likes best.
I’m not so selfish, and I’m determined man.
I’ve done everything at all after thinking enough before now.
Marketing
Customers
We need both positive and negative feedback from our customers in order to handle the business well.
That’s just what we do.
Be sure you know that there are three kinds of customers if you want to penetrate one of the markets.
The best customer is the one that complains.
‘Nice’ customer just goes away without telling you.
Approximately 96 percent of unhappy customers are silent customers.
But deeply inside you feel, make up your mind that they cost you millions.
You must give first customers’ satisfaction, coz’ have you ever heard the phrase of customer is always right.
Marketing
Myself
I’m Smith and I’m marketing manager for Mandalay branch in a country called new market.
In this market, we are the market leaders.
In fact, we have a 55% market share.
Market growth is seven to eight percent per year.
There are two main market segments: those who drink it in Café, bars and restaurants, and those who buy it to drink at home.
Of course, many users belong to both groups, but this is our market segmentation.
*Hello Smith, let me ask you one thing that how do you see about marketing in your opinion?
Marketing? Marketing is the process of planning, designing, pricing, promoting, and distributing ideas, so, as to make a profit companies point out how the special characteristics as features of their products and services possess particular benefits that satisfy the needs of people who buy them.
Interview
a.       Hello my friend, let me ask you one thing about interview if you don’t mind, I hope you don’t mind.
Let me confess that I’ve ever been interested about it, ever since I realize that it is time to move into the business field. (Just I mean to be seriously businessman)
b.      Well, I will work out as much as I know.
Interview, this mean is a formal meeting at which Sb(examiner) is asked to see if they (candidates) are suitable for a particular job, or for a course of study at a university or college.
*Not hard to be accepted.
You must accept that the rate of reasonably return.
If you are an examiner, you must confess like that…….
Let me confess that I must ask some timely questions about your qualifications and experience.
Coz’ we are looking for someone with the right qualifications as we advertised in the ……. newspaper.
And more, we have to pay according to your Standard.
*Salaries will be fixed according to your qualifications and experience.
→Yes, I agree with you, sir. You can ask my qualifications by openly system as you wanted to.
Are there any further questions about our university? Are there any questions?
I love questions, and you can ask any questions by openly system whatever you want to know.
Hello everyone! Please feel free to ask me if you have any further questions.
Please do not hesitate to ask me.

(EDU) Let me ask you one thing about your university / teaching programme?
→Will you (How should you) guarantee for your teaching programmes?
Just I mean after completing the courses, what benefits will we have?
I instantly hope I will have lots of benefits from doing that.
Let me confess that be sure we know about your teaching programmes / a bit about your new product.
Coz’ in Burma (Our country) mostly students (Potential learners) they would like to raise their talents in educational career by studying abroad.
Nowadays, so many jobs need educational qualifications, but we’ve never been there (Just I mean Singapore) so, we’re not too sure about it. So, I asked you like that.
Now, I’m going to fulfill my lifelong dream in Singapore.
On completion of the degree, will I have problem in entering a post graduate programme?
After completing of the degree / the course, will I have to face any problems if I want to transfer from Singapore to any other countries?
May be like Australia, America or somewhere / any others?
I need to know for sure. Coz’ I’ve never been done like that before now.
I’ve no experience about it.
I’ve no exporting experience / studying abroad experience.
**I also spoke with others in the field as to what factories they could recommend. Mr. Smith of ABC Company spoke very highly of your factory. I am so impressed with this factory and the career opportunity that I am willing to do.
Why would you want to move to this city / part of the country?
Believe it or not, it is attractive to me. I have done some research and discussed it with my family considering our lifestyle, there are advantages to moving to this area. The fact is that your factory and the position we are discussing are so attractive that moving to this area is worth considering because of career opportunity.
My family circumstances have compelled me to discontinue for my further studies that is because my family ran into difficulty and I felt my first obligation was to them.

With Metta,
Takkatho Nay Nyo Chan

No comments:

Post a Comment